- 9 oz buckwheat soba noodles or pad thai rice noodles for gluten free (if working on weight loss, try using zucchini noodles)
- 10 oz shiitake mushrooms
- 1 small onion sliced
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tsp jar asian chili paste (found in asian aisle of any grocery store)
- 2 tsp low sodium soy sauce
- ½ tsp fresh grated ginger or ginger paste
- 3-4 green onions chopped
- 1 cup thai basil leaves
- 1 cup baby spinach
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 cups steamed broccoli
- 3 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 ½ tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- pinch chili flakes (optional)
Boil the noodles according to the directions on the package. In a small bowl mix sauce ingredients and set aside.
Heat a pan to medium high, add 2 tablespoons of water, garlic and chili paste. Sauté a few minutes then add sliced onions and ginger. Sauté another minute or two. Add mushrooms and soy sauce, cook until mushrooms begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add the broccoli, basil, spinach and green onions. Pour sauce over vegetables to coat. Turn off heat and add in cilantro .
Makes 4-6 servings.
If using zucchini noodles, add them to the pan after the mushrooms are done and cook only until the noodles begin to slightly soften. Add the rest of the ingredients being careful not to overcook the zucchini.